Exhibits - Inside and Out

There are several tractors that kids may sit on!
The Minneapolis Moline (Comfortractor) 
is on loan from Edw. & Nancy Hanenburg
The train exhibit is owned by several people.  Bob Kary (shown below) and his two sons, Tyler & Kyle, each built a section of this modular track. There have been many people over the years who have volunteered to run the train and build sections. It was originally the brainchild of Robert Henning and Don Pratt (pictured above). Robert has since passed away and Don moved to the other side of the state.  Stan Murray and Jack Kolbe gave a lot of time to this project over the years as well.  Stan passed away and Jack is no longer able to maintain the train.  Currently, Roger Seth and Cal Scholma are our engineers. The train is typically run on the last Saturday of every month when an "engineer" is present.  If you would like to be trained to do this in the future, please contact the museum. 
Jack & Stan pictured here. 
Train collection and posters donated in memory of Stan Murray
Music is a big part of rural life.  We celebrate our local musicians and those who inspire them!  This is a changing exhibit. 
Lorne Ritola's collections of spark plugs and oil cans along with other vintage "garage items"
Sculpture by Lester Scruggs, donated by Dale Drooger
The Homestead, created by Walt Huizenga
Donated by Grand Haven Stamped Products 
(the only tractor ever manufactured in Ottawa County)
IH Corn Binder donated by Norm LeMieux
John Deere Collectible Toy Collection donated by John Brinks
Jack Fisher put 300 hours into restoring this little Wheel Horse tractor that was donated to the museum by the Lloyd & Flossie Behrens Family
Buckley Old Engine Show wooden bench, donated by John Hubbert
You will ALWAYS find some vintage quilts on display!  
We rotate our items to help preserve them. 
Duel Engine New Holland Baler on loan from Jim Arends
Nelson Hansen, of Hudsonville, donated this beautiful 1954 CASE SC to the Museum! 
Advertisements of Vintage Coopersville - by Gordon Baldus - new permanent display
Follow Us On:
Eclipse Windmill

Donated to the

Coopersville Farm Museum

by the Boon Family

of Grand Haven, MI (2009)

In Memory of Peter Boon, Jr.


The Eclipse Windmill was Invented by the Rev. Leonard H. Wheeler in 1867.  L.H. Wheeler and Co. produced the windmills until the early 1870s when Wheeler joined others to form the Eclipse Wind Mill Company in Beloit, Wisconsin, which later became the Eclipse Wind Engine Co. and by 1894 was succeeded by Fairbanks, Morse & Co. of Chicago.  Fairbanks, Morse, and Co. continued selling the Eclipse until about 1923, after which time the company discontinued its entire line of wooden-wheel Eclipse mills in favor of its steel windmills.  


In 1870 Wheeler and Co. installed its first large diameter windmill for the purpose of pumping boiler water for railway steam locomotives.  Wind engine towers were built from 10’ - 80’ tall with water tanks from 1,000 to 3,500 gallon capacities. 


Wind engines were an inexpensive source of power for a variety of tasks for farmers and ranchers. They not only pumped water, but cut fodder, shelled corn, ground grain, and cut wood.


When Wheeler’s patent expired in 1901 and the rights to the Eclipse mills entered public domain, a number of companies began producing them so closely that the parts were interchangeable.


Pete & Nancy Boon purchased this vintage windmill in Clovis, New Mexico. The Boon Family transported it to Michigan in their camper.  Pete built the wooden tower and placed it in their yard in Grand Haven.  There is stood for many years.  In 2009, Nancy Boon offered the windmill and tower to the Coopersville Farm Museum in memory of her husband, Pete.  With the help of family and friends of the Boon family, volunteers from the Farm Museum, and West Shore Services the windmill was carefully transported from Grand Haven to Coopersville.  The tower was put in place on the south side of the museum and the head, feather & fin were brought inside to be restored over the winter.  Volunteer, Jack Fisher, made this project his personal challenge.  He reconstructed many of the wooden slats and pieces and spent hours repainting the entire thing in the same patriotic manner it was received. 


Due to the high winds and severe weather here in Coopersville, the blades were damaged and the head of the windmill had to be taken down for repair.  Finding the right person willing and able to do the proper repairs has been a challenge!  If you are someone who would be willing to step up and make this happen, we would love to put it back up!  Please contact the museum at 616-997-8555. 

The Eclipse Windmill that stands on Main Street, was donated to the Coopersville Farm Museum by the Boon Family of Grand Haven, Michigan, in 2009.